We hope that you will enjoy your flowers. They will need your help if they are to be at their best for you so here are my top tips for getting the most out of your flowers…
Hand-tied flowers in water
- Arrangements can be kept in this packaging for up to 3 days.
- Carefully top up daily – pour water slowly through the centre.
- After 3 days remove cellophane and follow instructions for cut flower bouquet.
Cut flower bouquet
- Carefully remove all packaging.
- Keep the string tied around stems if you want to keep the shape we have created for you, remove it if you want to arrange the flowers yourself.
- Clean your vase thoroughly using hot water and washing up liquid, or rinse with water to which you have added a tablespoon of bleach. This will neutralize any bacteria on the inside of the vase and it will help your flowers live longer.
- Holding the bouquet up to the vase to get the right length then use a sharp, clean knife or scissors, cut 3cm off each stem at a 45-degree angle.
- Place the bouquet in your vase, check that it sits in proportion to the vase, then top up with freshly drawn water until the vase is three-quarters full.
- Be careful to remove any fronds and leaves which lie below the water level; these will decompose and contaminate the water and could damage your flowers.
- Place the bouquet in a cool position, away from heating or cooling vents, appliances, direct sunlight or draughts.
- Keep away from ripening fruit.
- Add fresh water daily.
If your flowers have been arranged into florists foam then try the following tips for maximum life…
- Top up the arrangement daily with fresh drawn water. Pour the water slowly through the centre of the arrangement to avoid spills.
- Please place your arrangement on top of a table mat and not directly on any polished surfaces.
General precautions & things to remember
Always remember that lily pollen can stain fabrics, clothes and upholstery. In case of contact, dab off with sellotape and do not use water. Berries may also stain and should not be eaten, so keep them away from young children and pets. Always wash your hands after arranging your flowers, some flowers have sap which can irritate your skin.
Now you know how to care for your flowers you can enjoy them for a lot longer than you thought!